Saturday, January 9, 2010

Eatsology?


Near the conclusion of 2009, I finally had a chance to watch Julie and Julia. For those of you that missed it due to GI Joe, Transformers 2: Revenge of General Motors and all your other summer blockbusters, J&J is about an aspiring writer that follows the life of the culinary behemoth, Julia Child. My pithy description does no justice to the movie but I've always wonder what it would be to create a blog about my thoughts. ..and eventually have a movie or a show made about me.

Furthermore, my brother recently began composing a brilliant journal of feasting at 30 different bars by his 30th birthday ( http://30bars30days.blogspot.com/). Yes Eric, your blog has inspired me. But what in the world could I write mine about? Video Games? Maybe if I were ten years younger. Sports? No, I'd get ripped to shreds from my die-hard junkie friends as if it were an episode of Rome is Burning. Food Critic? Naw, thats what yelp is for, and I can't compete with 500+million. Wine Blog? As fun as this sounds, I wouldn't be able to emulate such work due to decreased aldehyde dehydrase activity in my liver. In addition, I don't know if could be as critical about food, service, and ambiance since there are many other entertaining blogs for that niche...plus, I'm just too nice when it comes to servers...unless you're a buffoon.

Damn, a melancholy shitstorm hit me one day when I realized I have no expertise in one subject. Just as people sulk after a bad breakup, I armed myself with a nickel-coated ice cream scoop in one hand, and 1.75 quarts of Moosetracks in the other. I gorged on 3680 (kilo) calories of chocolate and peanut butter pieces while watching ten hours of Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmerman, the Man vs Food dude and Cal's abysmal bowl performance. By this time, it was 10pm and Good Eats was on. For those of that live in a cave, host Alton Brown occasionally brings experts onto the show ranging from farmers, nutritionists, the FDA, Lactose-Man, and an affable food anthropologist, Deborah Duchon.

In the episode (This Spud’s For You), Deborah makes an appearance explaining to A.B. that the potato is actually a domesticated product of a poisonous plant. Time machine back to sophomore year at Cal. Who would have thought my 10lb of potatoes could propagate pseudo chia-pets (damn, so close to an alliteration)! Coming back to reality, my heart began racing, I became lightheaded, a sudden amorous gush followed…was I in love with Duchon? Oh… it was probably from the glycemic shock of dessert goodness. But the idea of being to educate others with a pantheon of food knowledge is quite thrilling. In fact, how many of you have had conversations with me while we’re eating? You know, the moments where I say, “You know how fried rice came about? Want to know why you get the runs when you eat too much Escolar or Orange Roughy? Fenton’s challenge, no prob…here’s how you stop brainfreeze.” At least I’d be putting my college degree to good use!

Yes, I will be creating a blog soon. As of now, I’m considering Eatsology (foodology is an actually website), but I’d love to hear input. In addition, I lack creative juices to brainstorm enough topics so please list some here if you have ideas and I’ll try to my best. In addition, ask for an invite as I've created a google.wave for suggestions.

Grab that champagne glass and cheers!

By the way, the reason that beverage is still bubbling is due to carbon dioxide (the same stuff we associate “carbonation” with in soft drinks). Farmers in the Champagne region competed with, the warmer climate Burgundians neighbors to the south. Because Champagne’s region was more frigid, this caused deactivation of yeast molecules during production. As the wine was placed in warm storage, the dormant yeast microbes awoke from their hibernation and activate releasing CO2. Thus, the bubbly goodness is just microbe by product.

The gaseous by product you produce would not make for good drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment